Hamburgers get a bad rep for being unhealthy, greasy, and innutritious. However, like a lot of foods that have made it onto the mainstream fast food menu, I believe this glorious little meal has been nutritionally underestimated and overlooked by many!
When I look at hamburgers- especially these deconstructed hamburgers- I think of the endless options of toppings I can add! My favorite is rosemary roasted sweet potato, roasted cauliflower, tomato, lettuce, paleo mayo & dijon. Surprisingly I think I might consume more veggies than I normally do in my meals. This is also the PERFECT meal for moms who must cook both low carb and high carb meals.
- 1 pound hamburger
- S+P (Salt & Pepper)
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
- Oven roasted veggies
- Oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Oven roasted potatoes
- Caramelized onion
- Caramelized mushrooms and peppers
- Our paleo mayo
- Dijon mustard
- Green onions
- Get a frying pan going on the stove on medium heat to get a good sear.
- If you are cooking onions and mushrooms add a little EVO or butter to the pan to get them to start caramelizing. When you put the burger in the pan just move them to the side so they continue cooking while you are searing the burger meat.
- Take a 1/4 lb of the hamburger and flatten it out in-between a piece of paper towel, peel away the top of the paper towel and S+P your burger.
- Slap the hamburger (yes slap) into the frying pan, seasoned side down and quickly S+P the naked top of the burger. Fry for about 1 min on this side until there is a good sear, occasionally pressing the meat down into the pan to accentuate that sear.
- Flip the sizzling meat over to get another good sear on the other side. Remember you are NOT over cooking this, the key is to keep it juicy. So once there is a good sear, start to break it apart in large chunks with your flipper fry for a few moments longer until it’s the desired wellness and place it into your prepared burger bowl.
- There will be some left-over juice from the meat, we don’t like to waste that tasty sauce so we throw in a large handful of chopped spinach and let it soak up the juices.
- Putting it all together: In a large bowl place a handful of crisp iceberg lettuce on the bottom, next add roasted veggies/potatoes/ sweet potatoes, wilted spinach, fried hamburger, and the rest of all your extra toppings
- Mix well and serve right away!